-

Sunday, June 6, 2010

♥ Guest Blogger ♥

LivingwithPunks

I found another great project to share with you all today!
Susan from "Living with Punks" is here to share a very cool Pin Cushion Project. I know you are all going to want to make. I already stashed my can and am going to make mine tonight!











Hi,  I’m Susan from Living with Punks.  I am the wife of the hubmeister for 18 years now, and we have three wonderful punks, 7 yr. old twin boys and 2 yr. old lil’ sister.  On top of loving to sew, craft and bake, I run our family’s garage door company here in Clovis, California. So yeah, I keep busy.   
I have always had a love for creating and making things pretty. I can remember even as a little girl, thinking about home design and creating with whatever I could get my hands on.  I still have so many children’s books (I need to do a post about) that are about crafting and making.  I’m thankful my mom was aware of my desires, and encouraged them early on. 
After our daughter was born a few years ago, I started sewing again and now I can’t stop!!!  I love being able to look at something and think “I can make that” and then actually doing it… and it working!  Makes a person feel very accomplished!  Stop by my blog and check it out.  I have alot of ah-ha! sewing tutorials that are super simple and ALWAYS fun!! Toodle-loo...~Susan


~ Tin Can Pin Cushion ~




When I saw Fireflies & Jellybeans announced a crafting challenge a few weeks back, I decided I would try it...even though the challenge included recycled cans.  Unless you didn't notice, I like to sew  :)  But, I want to expand my crafting abilities and I thought it would be a great opportunity. 
I saved some 6oz. flavored almond cans (we've got lots :)), not knowing how I was going to use it....



Well, as they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (I know that is usually used for a mother/daughter reference, but you get the drift) because although my craft does not involve sewing, I can use it in the sewing room!


I started by cutting a piece of scrap fabric the circumference of the can, basically 11.5 x 2.5, and mod-podgedit to the side.  I stuffed the can with fiberfill and got another piece of fabric and stuffed it down as the pincushion top.  Make sure it's nice and puffy
I didn't want to just throw the plastic top away, so I cut it out in the shape of a funky flower
...and mod-podged some fabric to it.  I used a cute piece of felt for the flower center
And glued the funky flower to the pincushion
I love it and it looks soooo cute in my sewing room
~Susan



Creative Share Button



Make sure you grab Susan's Button too!


Go Vote for SUSAN!
Susan just got the news too, that she is in the TOP 10 for Fireflies & Jellybeans "Iron Crafter" competition. So please go by and see and vote for your favorite. Which of course would be Susan's Pin Cushion. Show some support and Vote Right Now!

Thank you so much Susan for sharing this fun project with Trendy Treehouse! I look forward to making one of my own. I hope I can find some adorable fabric like yours!

If you loved this tutorial and SUSAN, please go by and tell her so HERE! She would love to hear from your. And if you really love her, Follow her! She has some pretty amazing tutorials. This was just one of them! I am going to try a few that she offers!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe i'm the first commenter! Cool project; teaching myself granny squares today!

    Come visit me at my blog - comments are my weakness!

    Happy end of the weekend, SITSters

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this project!! Its really creative and looks like its fun to customize. Thanks for sharing and happy sunday!!

    XOXO
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat project! I love it and I love to recycle so it's a perfect project for me to try, right? :) It's amazing to see what people can do with recyclables!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We appreciate every comment and try to reply via email to as many as we can. Have a fantastic day!

UPDATE...Sorry I had to update my comments to be approved. Spam is now getting through. :(