-

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Football centerpiece

Football Centerpiece

Blogs and websites are full of inspiring ideas for
Valentine's Day right now.
I'm very excited to do some of the projects that I've seen.
But first things first.
What about the SuperBowl!

We're having a Super Bowl party again this year,
so I wanted to make some decorations
to make the party more festive.

I did find a few ideas online and some of
those sparked other ideas.
So, for now I'll share a tutorial on the football centerpiece I made,
and you can check my blog later for
some other football related crafts.

You can also go check out my blog to see
how I adapted this craft for Valentine's Day.

Here is the finished product.
Cute, right?



Gather your materials:


  • construction paper,
  • fun foam paper,
  • paper towel tube
  • paper plate
  • scissors
  • double sided tape
  • regular tape
  • white-out or white paint pen
  • and pipe cleaners
  • (although the glue is in the photo I never used it)


This is the stash for the football centerpiece.
Trace your paper plate upside down onto green construction paper.

Cut out the circle you just drew and trace the paper towel tube in the center of that circle and cut that out as well.


Decorate your circles with yard lines.

Cover the paper towel tubes with brown (football) construction paper.

Some of the tube will not get covered if you use a standard sheet of paper and that's okay.

Cut about five slits in the bottom of the tube that's not covered all the way up to where the paper starts.


Fold these slits out at the same point on each one in order to make the tube stand up.




Poke eight holes in the top of the tube, alternate high and low (4 high and 4 low)

Put the end of the tube through the hole in the colored construction paper.

I put double sided tape on these little "legs"

Using the colored construction paper as a guide put the legs of the paper towel tube onto the paper plate and secure with tape.


I also used some double sided tape on the 40 and 20 yard lines to secure the construction paper to the plate.


Cut out football shapes from the brown fun foam and draw stitch lines on with paint pen or white out.


Tape the football or heart shapes to pipe cleaners that have been cut in half.


Add pipe cleaners to the already poked holes in the top of the paper towel tube. I suggest bending the pipe cleaner up so that it is more secure.

Cut out a goal post. I made sure that the bottom
was the same size as the paper towel roll so I could just slip it in.

And then stand back and admire your work!
Place it on the table with all the great (yummy but not good for you) appetizers.


I got this idea from here...but then promptly changed some things to make them better (in my opinion)


I'd love to see your take on this project. Make sure to link back here with your version!

Jamie's Signature #2


2 comments:

  1. So cute! What a great idea. If we were having a super bowl party I would totally be making those :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this for the Super Bowl this year, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We appreciate every comment and try to reply via email to as many as we can. Have a fantastic day!

UPDATE...Sorry I had to update my comments to be approved. Spam is now getting through. :(