Have you ever wanted to make your own
Water Color Paints?
Here is a great recipe to make it!!!
What you will need....
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon clear vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
- 3-4 drops of food coloring
- Styrofoam egg carton
How to make it....
- Mix together the baking soda and vinegar. After all the fizzing stops, you will want to add in the corn syrup and cornstarch. Mix well until smooth. Get all the lumps out. If you can't, just sift them out or run through a screen.
- Next add in desired food coloring to create the perfect color.
- After completing your paints, pour each color into a section of your styrofoam egg carton. Close up to store. When you run out of one color, just refill that section.
Fun Tip: When your kids are helping you and ask why the mixture is fizzing, explain to them that all the carbon dioxide is being released. You can even explain to kids when we breathe in air, our body consumes the oxygen and when we exhale we release carbon dioxide. Then the trees & plants breath in the carbon dioxide and the plants then produce more oxygen.
A fun little fact you can tell your kids while making these water colors.
Basic Primary colors are fun, but here are some more color choices you might like. I am sure that you can have your kids help you come up with some fun colors. They even sell neon colors. That would be fun too!
RED + BLUE = PURPLE
RED + YELLOW = ORANGE
BLUE + YELLOW = GREEN
RED + GREEN = BROWN
GREEN + YELLOW = LIGHT GREEN
BLUE + GREEN = BLUE-GREEN
RED + WHITE = PINK
BLACK + WHITE = GRAY
I hope this helps you save a little bit of money because water colors go fast and cost quite a bit. This way you can make them when you need them. Sometimes you run out of one color and have to buy a whole new set, just to get that one color. Now you don't have too!