This salad is beautiful and delicious. You may serve it as the main meal for lunch or dinner. Or, make it smaller as an entree' to your main course. Either way, it will be a win-win! It will definitely impress anyone and everyone...
You will need:
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- (*Cut, and flush with water, drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Cover with more paper towels and place in the refrigerator to chill while draining. This makes the lettuce crisp and cold. Remove just before assembling your salad.)
- 1/2 pound of bacon, cooked, & crumpled
- (*Prepare a broiler pan with cooking spray, place bacon on pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes till done, check bacon often. This is an easy way to prepare bacon without a mess or splatters. When done, remove bacon and let rest on a paper towel. You will crumble it for the salad. I use kitchen shears to cut the bacon for my crumbles.)
- A few small Red and Yellow tomatoes,
- sliced in half
- 3 or 4 stalks of green onions, sliced
- 1 package of grated parmesan cheese, fried, (see recipe below)
- 1 bottle or jar of Bleu Cheese Salad Dressing
Fried Parmesan Cheese:
Heat a small frying pan after using cooking spray and some olive oil to prepare the pan.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese in the pan.
Sprinkle with garlic pepper.
The cheese will cook fast, do not leave unattended.
Spray your spatula with cooking spray. Then lift the fried cheese around the edges. Next, flip over the fried cheese, cooking the other side. The second side will cook faster. Remove the fried cheese and place on a paper towel to cool. Repeat as many times as you need for the number of salads being served.
They can be added whole or crumbled on the salad. These may be made ahead of time, even the day before. Store between paper towels on a small plate in a zip top bag.
Assembly of the Gourmet Style Wedge Salad
Remove the lettuce from the refrigerator and cut into wedges
(Size will depend on how you choose to serve your salad, entree' or main meal)
On a plate, place the fried cheese
Next, place a wedge of lettuce
Add the tomatoes, green onions and crumbled bacon
Drizzle on the Blue Cheese dressing
Salt & Pepper to taste...