-

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tomato Soup Cupcakes

I've got another great and easy, yummy cupcake recipe for you!
This recipe comes from Cupcake Confidential ...

There are 98 more recipes that I need to try but I really wanted to share this one with you.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 can (15oz) undiluted tomato soup
3/4 cup water

Lightly grease cupcake tins. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs. In a separate bowl; mix together soup, water, baking soda. Add alternately with dry ingredients to the shortening mixture. Stir well. Fill each cup 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool. Makes 24.

Alternatives:
I used butter and added one more egg to make up for the fat content in the shortening (that's what google told me to do :) ). And I was able to make 32 cupcakes.
Minute Fudge Frosting
1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat, and beat until lukewarm. Beat with an electric mixer until thick enough to spread.

Again, I used butter and did not add an egg this time. I had to use the mixer for quite a few minutes and while it was thick enough to spread it was still runny. So, while it's called "one minute" frosting that's just because you boil it for one minute.

So, I bet you're wondering what they taste like. They're good. They do not taste like tomato soup. In fact they taste more like pumpkin cupcakes without the pumpkin flavor (if that makes sense). With the nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in there these are good "fall" cupcakes, but really, good enough to make any time. My husband and kids really liked them and so did my next door neighbor. Give them a try and let me know what you think! It's another great way to add something healthy to something not so healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We appreciate every comment and try to reply via email to as many as we can. Have a fantastic day!

UPDATE...Sorry I had to update my comments to be approved. Spam is now getting through. :(